What Is Coaching
What comes to mind when you hear the word, Coach? Many people envision an angry person on the sidelines of a sports contest, passionately gesturing to get their players to follow the game plan. A much more helpful definition is found in the original meaning of the term ‘coach’ as simply ‘a vehicle that transports someone from where they are to where they want to go’. Successful people in all walks of life have benefitted from having a coach at their side. Imagine talking to a good listener who appreciates where you are going and who you are. Imagine an encourager who believes in you and knows how to draw out of you, your best ideas. Imagine having the undivided attention of a person with whom you can confide, dream big dreams and strategize a plan to reach your life goals. That is a coach.
Coaching helps a person…
· Become self aware regarding strengths, gifts, and personality.
· Maximize their God-given potential.
· Clarify a unique purpose with goals to serve that purpose.
· Discover barriers to progress and actions to remove them.
· Define future direction with specific steps and benchmarks.
· Encourage learning and the acquisition of needed resources.
Coaching helps organizations and teams…
· Build a shared vision for a preferred future.
· Clarify the strengths and contributions of each team member.
· Identify silos thereby promoting a unified purpose.
· Simplify the business or ministry model to highlight a ‘main thing’.
· Marshall a variety of resources to serve the mission.
“The purposes of a man’s heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.” Proverbs 20:5
Client centered not coach centered
Strengths based not weakness oriented
Solutions focused not motivation centric
Future forward movement with little past referencing
A series of Action Steps not random thoughts
How, what, when and who focused, not why
Listening and guiding, not telling and persuading
Coaching Is Not
Teaching – the transfer of knowledge through education.
Training – the acquisition and practice of skills to accomplish tasks.
Preaching – a persuasive speech for spiritual guidance.
Consulting – advice and counsel from an avowed expert.
Mentoring – values and experience transfer from one to another.
Counseling – examining past keys to present behavior.
A Sample of Topics We Explore Together
- Decision Making tendencies
- Family Dynamics
- Personality traits
- Obstacles to growth
- Communication hangups
- Team Conflict
- Team Building
- Sweet Spot servicing
- Role Definition
- Goal Clarity and Goal setting
- Project Completion
- Values and values alignment
- Disciplines and Habits
- Skills Development
- Resource Identification